Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Magic of Lanterns - my travel kit

I'm on a bus to Montreal to see the Magic of Lanterns display at the Chinese gardens in the Botanical gardens neat the Biodome. 

I decided to take a break from testing the Fuji cameras and instead brought the G6 with 14-140,  the GM1 with 12-32, the EPM2 with 45 1.8 and the GX1 with the Samyang 7.5 fisheye.

This all fits into a fairly small Lowepro case, the EX180.

This case hangs nicely from the shoulder and there is just enough room left over to fit the small Metz 36AF5 TTL flash.

The big benefit here is that I have 24 through 280 covered with 15mm fisheye and 90mm low light without swapping lenses in the field. And it is fairly light.

The Fuji S1 fits into the same location as the G6, but the HS50EXR is a very tight fit and unpleasant to carry in this case. So I'm not entirely sold on the bridge camera concept for travel. I would need larger sensor companions to assignment the smaller sensor. 

Still, the new FZ1000 and LX100 have certainly turned my head, as they could replace this entire kit with very similar image quality... And with space left over.