Monday, April 15, 2013

One of the funnier scams …

I got a call this afternoon with a long distance ring, which I always take. It was not someone I knew, but instead a gentleman informed my that every time I am on the Internet I am downloading harmful files. He went on to tell me that he was going to help me fix that and I was going to be performing the actions on my computer, which I presume was meant to assuage any possible doubt I might have had about risks associated with allowing a person on the end of a cold call to direct me to no doubt a special web site that would cure all my ills.

I must admit to chuckling out loud before I informed him that I work in the business and that I felt that he was spreading BS and that we would not in fact be “fixing” my computer this afternoon. I’ve heard much better pitches that actually gave me pause for 5 seconds, but this one was mega-scan from his second word :-)

Note that this group is using an actual number at an area code, which is weird …. and their company has an obviously trustworthy name :-\

DSCF7133_FinePix F770EXR_4.6 mm_ISO 3200_1-5 sec at f - 3.5

What a fricken joke …