Friday, January 25, 2013

ASK.COM – Sleaze-ware sneaks onto my machine again …

I upgraded two applications at their request this morning as new versions existed. One was Java from Oracle, and the other was the very nice MSI Afterburner, which allows you to quiet down your high end video card when you aren’t doing anything too strenuous.

And what I noticed a short while later is that suddenly I have an Ask.com toolbar in Chrome.

image

image

I hate these sleazy toolbars that everyone tries to suck you into installing. And since I merely upgraded already installed applications at their suggestion, it never once occurred to me that I would have to scrutinize each panel of the install wizards to avoid this sleazy garbage. Seriously, I already declined the first time I installed, so the default should be “off” for the same offers on an upgrade. It is the right (honorable) thing to do.

Well … looks like everyone is partnering with the scum and forcing it on you through any trickery they can get away with. What a sad state the computer application industry has come to when you cannot trust even the largest companies to do what is right. Ever.