Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Windows Security Essentials – Are you protected?

A computer geek somewhere out there is chuckling at having thought of the incredibly original subtitle “Always practice safe HEX” …

I’m a computer geek by the way, so I can call people that. We’ve taken the name back …

Anyway, I wonder how many people out there are unaware that Microsoft makes available at no cost a very decent, if rudimentary virus scanner. You have to search for it as they would be slapped with another anti-trust problem if they included it, but there is no law against putting out your own basic application at no cost (yet :-)

I’ve had a few bouts with viruses in the past, and it is always ugly. Enough that you hope that the virus writer contracts a case of the worst boils …

But this application runs quietly and very much unobtrusively in the background, so I must say that I am impressed. I can remember the days when I would have to shut off a scan using one of the (unnamed) main stream virus scanners because it would absolutely crush my system.

This application seems very light on resources despite running pretty quickly. I took a snap shot of its progress after perhaps an hour. It had done 3,000,000+ files so far and I hardly notice it running.

image

Of course, multiple cores makes that a non-issue.

image

So if you are running without protection (there’s that chuckle again) please stop now and search for Microsoft Security Essentials.

And remember to select 32 or 64 to match your OS installation. I hope you have installed 64 bit Windows 7, but if not no worries. Just get the protection … practice safe HEX.

If you have never programmed a computer then the joke won’t be all that amusing … heck, it probably won’t be funny even if you have programmed a computer. But the point of the joke is that we all looked over register contents and instructions in their hexadecimal form … base 16, which manifests as 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F. A space happens to be shown as “20”, which is actually decimal 32.