Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Rogers Internet … I’m feeling a bit better about my service (updated) …

It has been a nightmare trying to get images uploaded lately. The link will run fast for a few images and then bog down completely. This has been happening for months now and I finally was able to recreate it using speedtest.net … the results are horrible. I pay for a 1Mbps uplink and I get crap, as shown by these two straight tests. The second run after resetting the cable modem and router.

image

image

I don’t know what game Rogers are playing, but I pay far too much for my service to take this from them.

Update: Ok, I found out that my son has been leaving a P2P client running all the time, and of course Rogers’ throttling has been kicking in I believe. I also found out that servers that are not local seem to work better … for example, I was getting good speed to Toronto while Ottawa servers were crud.

My link to Kingston is spectacular …

image

So things might not be as bad as they seemed … however, I still don’t like the cagey way that Rogers chooses to shape traffic to and from my home. That’s just evil …

Update 2: After getting my new SSD set up to boot in AHCI mode and moving my entire user account onto a separate disk (using a link from C:\Users\kim to D:\Users\kim), I tried downloading iTines and setting that up. It’s the last major application that I needed to set up. My sustained download speed was pretty excellent …

image

Not too shabby …

And of course I immediately found out that the 32 bit version no longer installs on Windows 7 64 … but there was no obvious mention of that on the download page. Apple, for all their brilliance, are let down by crappy web designers just like everyone else …

Anyway, this download went incredibly fast … wow … this is at or above what I pay for (shhhhh … don’t tell them or I will suddenly end up clamped to 7kbps as per the small print in my contract …)

image

I’ll take it …

No comments: