Sunday, October 17, 2010

F300EXR – Review Part 26 – Stabilization test …

I’ve been waiting for an opportunity to see what the stabilization can do. It seems quite reasonable in decent light, but what about when one is in a moving car?

Well, I got my opportunity yesterday as Karen and I and the two pugs (Spike and Sophie) were driving into town to attend a Pug Fest kind of get together to support a Pug rescue group. The 417 is being paved right now on the way into town, so we had to pause for 10 or 15 minutes as traffic passed them by. As always, the traffic starts to speed up as you pass the trucks.

So I got a chance to get an image from pretty far away at full zoom …

DSCF0681_paving[1] Then one a bit closer …

DSCF0682_paving[1] And finally one as we were driving by …

DSCF0683_paving[1]My observation is that these are sharp and in focus. The stabilization is quite effective. Note also that I had time only to press the button without aiming … the AF was nailed three times in a row. These are the only three images I tried … I am a little bit impressed because I don’t think many compacts have the AF chops to get that last shot during a drive by.

P.S. Anyone else notice that the last guy there looks a lot like Mr. White?

Warning: The driver should never shoot images while driving and I take no responsibility for the consequences if you choose to do it …

No comments: