Friday, November 6, 2009

Jill Zmud has a new CD!

Photo by Brian Goldschmied

For those who remember my post regarding Songwriter's Night at the Rainbow Bistro, I commented at the time that Jill Zmud, a friend of a close friend, was preparing her first full CD. And now it's here!

She has posted five of the songs on her MySpace account, so go and have a listen. I listened twice through this morning and I must say that this is a winner. You would be forgiven if you lapsed into the same relaxed state of bliss that Norah Jones's first CD evoked (in me, anyway) ... Jill really sounds like Norah at times. Back at the Rainbow, I also thought I detected moments of Sarah McLaughlin and Tori Amos in her voice, but not on these songs. This is very Norah with Jill's own tone. Really nice sound.

The songs are very open ... not too many instruments ... nice smooth sound with good production values. A great listen. Look for her on iTunes and CD Baby in the near future.

Meanwhile, take in her launch party at the Black Sheep Inn in Wakefield, Quebec.


Edit: I bought the down-loadable version of her CD from cdbaby.com and it's really nice. She has an unmistakable Norah Jones vibe throughout ... at times (e.g. "Late to Bloom"), it sounds like country Norah from her second CD. The sound overall is somewhat reserved and spare ... reminding me of Patty Griffin's CDs. And every once in a while, I get a Cowboy Junkies vibe in the music ... from the Trinity Sessions time, although she does not really sound like Margot Simmons.

No comments: