Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Spicy Beef Noodle (#27) at the Phu Yen

I met my friend Sue for lunch today and we went to our favorite Pho place ... the Phu Yen restaurant in Kanata. Back 10 years ago, when I managed e.mediate networks, a Canadian startup with American funding, a bunch of us would eat there three times a week. It's still just as packed at lunch as it was then ...


They have awesome food. I arrived early, so here it is empty ... a rare site .... trust me.


Those are the owners back there and the one sitting down has been running the restaurant since I can remember.

We both had this spicy form of Pho, a traditional Vietnamese "soup as a meal." It is #27 on the menu and you really must try it.

I also love their #180 ... Beef with Black Bean on wide Rice Noodles. Their version is stunning ... heavy and rich. I can also get a decent version at the local delivery place near my house ... they call it Chow Ho Fun with Black Bean Sauce. Every once in a while ...

Anyway ... I failed to capture the actual meals in an image ... duh ... but I did capture this action shot of green tea being poured. And it was good ...


If you are ever in Kanata (western suberb of Ottawa), try out the Phu Yen. Come early if you want to get in ... 11:30 works. Awesome food.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pho and Banh Mi are my favorite lunch. Were these shot with the Fuji?

Kim Letkeman said...

Yes, these were shot at 200ISO because I was in EXR DR priority mode with DR set to DR800. That forces 200 ISO ... were I to shoot it today, I think I would go with DR400 and -1/3ev ...